Monday, July 25, 2011

The working mama...

...that's me!  In case you didn't know, I got a job last week and today was my first day.  Jordan and I did some talking and thought that Blendtec might be a good fit for me and we sure would like some extra money to get us through the holidays and prepare us even more for buying a house in the new year.  I applied at Blendtec about a month ago and thanks (HUGE thanks really) to some prompting from Bronwyn, they called me last week for an interview.
I've always interviewed very well and I was confident that I would get the job.  The interview itself was probably one of the most fun I've ever had.  It was in one of their conference rooms with three different managers and I felt like I did great making eye contact with each of them and answering their questions creatively.  They told me it would take two weeks for them to make their final decisions and I would hear from them then.....and two hours later, Louise from HR called to let me know my interview must have gone really well because they wanted to offer me a position in production.
WOOHOO!
The schedule is SUPER nice, Monday through Thursday from 7:00am-4:00pm and Friday from 7:00am-1:00pm.  I get several paid holidays and a couple of floating holidays on top of the PTO I will be earning.  They have a fitness center ON-SITE---COOOL!!!!  And even cooler, they log your hours in the gym and reward you with free movie tickets!  They also have an on-site nurse AND doctor that you and your family can schedule appointments with, very convenient.  AND!  They have two smoothie machines in the building where employees can go and help themselves to free smoothies....whenever they want!  The lunch room is huge and has every amenity a hungry employee would need.  Everyone takes their breaks and lunch at the same time, which is also fun because we get to sit and visit with all our work friends instead of sitting up there all by ourselves.  Once I've been there for a few months, I will be able to get a Blendtec blender for FREE (so excited for that!) and I'll also qualify for their incentive bonuses--saweeet!
As for the actual work itself, it's very cool.  We work on a line with 6-8 different stations and we rotate every hour so we're not stuck doing the same thing all day.  It actually makes the time go by pretty quickly.  I've never worked production before and it's a lot of fun.  I really enjoyed the work and chatting with the people around me.  It's not difficult work and we do get to sit at certain stations so we're not actually on our feet ALL day.
Wanna know the best part?  Tobi gets to be with Jordan Monday through Wednesday so I only need a sitter for a day and a half, and so far I have my dad, Jocelyn and Shannon signed up for shifts.  Tobi is super comfortable around all three of them which is a relief for me.  I can pay them for their babysitting time and it won't take much out of my paycheck since it's only a day and a half every week.  I get home early enough too that I still get plenty of time with my baby and I'm very excited to have extra money to take him places and do fun things as a family.  It's also nice for me to be contributing to our income.  Sometimes I feel guilty for doing fun things (especially family events) when Jordan is working so hard and often times can't join in.  I think it will be fun for me to relieve some of the financial burden for Jordan and we'll be able to do a lot of fun activities when Jordan is off.
I know it's only been one day, but I really love my new job!

No comments: