- Representation of theme
- Creativity
- Taste
The contest started at 6:00pm and we had until 9:00pm to finish. We gathered at Luke's house with our cake supplies and got right to work. We were using sponge cake and rice krispies treats and Jocelyn had made her own fondant to use on the outside of the cake. We got the base for our Eiffel Tower started and after about an hour it became clear that our strategy was not going to work. After much agonized debating we decided to scrap our first attempt and start over, we had plenty of cake left to do so, we just needed more frosting.
Jocelyn and Steve ran to the store while I stayed behind to see what could be salvaged of our idea. With the help of some extra long bbq skewers I was able to put together a pretty decent looking Eiffel Tower. Jocelyn and Steve finished it up with the frosting and another group was kind enough to donate their extra fondant for us to use as grass around the base. We finished just in time for the judges to arrive.
Luke's grandma and three of her friends sent us out of the room to begin judging and after an hour of judging....our cake took third place out of four. Not too bad considering! Everyone had a lot of fun and some of the cakes turned out very cool. I'm glad that I was invited.
Thanks Jocelyn!
No comments:
Post a Comment