Thursday, April 26, 2012

KOTM Update

We had our first visit today focusing on Tobi's motor skills and it went so great!  Tobi had us all cracking up when I asked him to run, I really should film it before it gets corrected because it's quite comical.  They had so much amazing advice and input for my little boo.  They knew right away just from watching him run that it was a torso issue.  His core is still very weak, this was our biggest problem last year when we were trying to get him to walk so it doesn't surprise me to be hearing it again.  They are going to bring us a yoga ball when they come next week so that we can start some exercises with him in order to strengthen him up!  They said that his balance is off and he cheats to try to compensate, which is why he seems so clumsy and unstable.  He is still sitting in a W, which we need to be better about fixing, they said that will help a ton and he also needs to be in some high top sneakers to help support his ankles for the next couple of months.

They also said that the weakness in his core could be affecting his eating habits.  I found this very surprising, but they told us that if he's not sitting right when he eats it affects the way he chews and swallows, and if it's difficult for him, he won't eat as well or as much.  Crazy right!  They are also helping us work with his tantrums and hitting himself.  So far we've been able to avoid them pretty well at home, it's when we're in public that we have a hard time.  Especially when we're around other kids because we can't control what they're gonna do.  Kimber said she can even come along on a couple play dates so that she can show me how to intervene with him when a problem does come up. How cool is that?  Seriously, these girls are so amazing and Tobi loves them.  He did so great in their program last year that I'm so excited to be working with them again.  The knowledge they have about these kids is just amazing and it's great to see Tobi working with them and building his confidence.  They gave us some great tips and goals for this next week and I'm feeling very good about his progress.  I never feel overwhelmed when they're here or after they leave, which is great.  So we'll see how the week goes and I'll post another update when they come next week!

No comments: