Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Diabetes update

I started my insulin shots about a week ago and yesterday I met with my dietician to go over my numbers.  Aside from an adjustment made for breakfast, my numbers looked great and they said I'm doing a wonderful job.  It's so good to hear that and I do feel like I'm handling this better than I did with Tobi's pregnancy.  At least for now ha ha.  I also had my first ultrasound with Maternal Fetal Medicine, they'll be watching me pretty closely for the rest of my pregnancy because of the diabetes.  The doctor I saw was so great and while I was overwhelmed and disappointed when I left, I felt like she did a great job keeping me calm and comfortable.

She told me that Grayson is already a little on the chubby side, so definitely very healthy but...I will definitely be having another c-section.  Having already done that, I know what to expect and I'm okay with that, part of me though is still a little sad that I will not get to experience "natural" childbirth.  They also told me that they're wondering if this time around it's not gestational, but type 2 diabetes.  They said after I have the baby, they'll test me and if that's the case I can control it with diet and pills.  That was a huge relief for me because while I'm handling the insulin shots now, I don't know if I could do it for the rest of my life.  Jordan and I both want to continue dieting anyway after Grayson arrives, so we're not bummed at all about that.  She also told me that even if my weight were under control and I were healthier, I could still be a diabetic.  It's just in my genes.

She also told me that we can pretty much count on having the gestational diabetes with insulin for all future pregnancies.

Yikes.

So Jordan and I definitely have a lot to talk about.  I'm feeling like I really don't want to have any more babies, I'm really okay having two awesome boys.  I'm not one of those women that breezes through my pregnancies and it's only going to get harder as I get older.

They set me up for my NST's through the month of August and said that they would schedule a c-section for me at 39 weeks and just do their best to get me there.  Oh...and they took MORE blood from me...I swear if I have to do another blood test........

No comments: