Friday, May 6, 2011

And day #3 in Yellowstone!


Today was our last day in Yellowstone, we are leaving for home in the morning. I'm excited to go home but I've also had a lot of fun on this trip. Today was probably the BEST by far. We started out the morning by visiting the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center. They had three different habitats with some grizzly bears, and two different packs of wolves. We were lucky enough to get there right before feeding time too! We learned that they feed both packs of wolves ONCE a day. One pack at 10:00AM and the other at 3:00PM. They open a door that leads to a separate housing unit and the wolves can choose whether or not they want to go in and eat. If all FOUR wolves go in, they shut them in and then change their habitat so that they have more to interact with and they don't get bored. Unfortunately Leopold, the omega wolf, got chased out of the food house and he didn't get to eat. Poor wolfie. We were very sad for him, he sure looked hungry! So there weren't any habitat changes for that pack today. Tobi had a lot of fun in their little museum, looking at all the bear stuff, pushing buttons and feeling the coarse bear hair. He sure loved it there!
Now....here comes the BEST BEST BEST part of the day. The Zip Line Tour. Andrew and Bronwyn booked us for the zip line before we left. It wasn't scheduled to open for a few more days and they said they'd only take us if we had a group of four. My mom and I agreed to go with them so they'd have their four people, and my dad was going to watch Tobi. The whole part of our trip so far, I've been TERRIFIED of the zip line. I was dreading it so bad, I was feeling a little sick! I kept hinting for my dad to take my place, but he was SO not taking that bait. We drive for an hour to get to the place and I'm about ready to wet my pants, or puke....or both. We sign a waiver, basically agreeing that there is no guarantee we won't die (yikes!) and get suited up in our gear. Again....have I mentioned how TERRIFIED I was? We meet our tour guides, Steph and Eric (the coolest people EVA!!), and they drive us a couple miles up the road to the zip line course. They give us a little tutorial before we hit the first tower, about fifty feet up, and at this point my acid reflux has started and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna die (also, everyone is laughing at me for being so dramatic). I make it up to the tower and watch Andrew and Bronwyn go ahead of me. Then it's my turn. I knew if I just stood there and thought about, I'd never step off the edge, so as soon as she had me hooked up I JUMPED.....HOLY SMOKES!!! I zipped so FAST and before I knew it I was at the other tower and Andrew and Bronwyn were making fun of my scared face....RUDE! Ha ha, so then we climb this rickety ladder (again, terrifying) and we are now ready for the next zip, about seventy feet up, which also takes us over the freaking RIVER. Again, I just leap off knowing that if I hesitate, Steph is going to have to shove me. This one was the fastest and the longest and boy was it fun!!
I ended up coming in backwards and Eric had to grab me and help pull me in, it's so hard to steer on a zip line! We walked the WORST bridge (a rope bridge that was VERY teetery) to get to the third and last tower. This one was about sixty feet high and took us back over the river to where we started. On this one, I pulled my legs up for what they call a cannonball (it makes you go faster) and I FLEW across that river. Andrew and Bronwyn were already on the other side and Katie (our third guide) had to apply extra brakes for me, I was going so fast! So...I think I'm officially broken in as far as zip lines go and on our next trip, this girl won't be scared at all! Okay, well maybe a little. It's a scary thrill!
We ended the day by having another yummy dinner at The Outpost and then came back to the hotel to get ready for bed.
WOW! What a day!!
Here are some pictures of our LAST and BEST day in Yellowstone!

1 comment:

Brynn said...

You are much braver then me.. just reading about it freaks me out! I'm glad you had fun with your family.