Thursday, May 19, 2011

Tobi's on the move...

with Kids on the Move that is. If you haven't heard of them, they are an agency that provides early intervention services for children (0-3) with developmental delays (hate that phrase with a passion). I wasn't sure at first if I wanted to blog about this, but I've found my blog to be extremely helpful whenever I need to fill in a timeline and I really try to blog about our life regularly so that I can have it in print later. It's so much easier for me to journal this way and Kids on the Move is a big deal for us right now.

Anywho....we were referred to them by our wonderful doctor a few weeks ago and they met with us this week to do Tobi's preliminary assessment to see if he would qualify for the program. Lucky (depending on your definition I guess) for us, Tobi qualified for their assistance. In addition, it will only cost us $20 a month, that's their fee for a family with our annual household income...it varies. It was such a relief for me to hear that since we've already paid $1000 in P.T. bills for him already, not to mention we just got the bill for the P.T. on my back that I finished last month (my back feels fantastic though so I really can't diss on the benefits of physical therapy).

They are going to be making regular home visits to our apartment for the next little while and working with Tobi to get him walking and also get him talking a little more. Apparently at his age he should know somewhere between 30-40 words and right now he can only spout off about 10. I know he understands and knows more than that, he just won't cooperate. He's a very stubborn little boy, bless his heart. He did really well with their puzzles and other educational toys, they said he is very smart (which we knew already!) and that was great. They said as far as his walking goes, he's picked up some bad posture habits (a problem since day one really--remember his flat head problem anyone???) that we need to work with him on. Once he builds a little more strength in his "trunk" he'll feel more confident about walking. The kid can climb over, under, through, and on top of just about anything, cruises along everything like a little roadrunner, and walks great with his little walker that I bought him a month ago...we just need to get him confident enough to do it on his own!

I'm really excited that they are going to be helping us with this because I need it. I can't help but feel that he's not walking because I'VE failed him. I KNOW that kids walk when they are ready and that each kid is different, I promise...but I will seriously FREAK OUT if another person tells me this. Especially when their kids are doing just fine. It really does not help me when people say that. Kids do walk when they are ready, and some of them do end up needing help. And mine is one of them. You never know if they are being lazy, or if there is an underlying problem that needs attention. Tobi's gone five months now looking like he's going to walk any day now, and hasn't progressed. Hopefully now that will change. And hopefully this will not stick with him.

Developmentally behind. I hate that and I don't want that to be a label for him or an issue for me. I think he's going to great and I'm excited to see what happens in the next couple of months. He's going to love it when he realizes he can walk all by himself.

Oh the places he will go!

2 comments:

Becca said...

Developmentally anything is just a label and a diagnosis, if you will, for Tobi to be able to get the help he needs. Camden has developmental delays and the words don't bother me, because he's still the same Camden he was before we found out and after we found out. All that matters is that you get Tobi the care he needs and deserves so he can have a better future. Glad you guys are getting him some help!

Brynn said...

I agree with Becca, it doesn't change who Tobi is, he is just getting the help he needs. He is such a sweet little guy, we sure love him and I know he will do great as will you guys! Let us know if we can help with anything. Love you.